Tonsils are lymph nodes that reside in your throat. Their purpose is to help protect the body by filtering out bacteria and foreign invaders that enter our bodies by what we take internally. However, they can become swollen and inflamed if overwhelmed by the amount of bacteria or other toxins coming into the body. Strep throat is one cause. Fungus or parasites can also cause tonsillitis.
Some of the symptoms of tonsillitis include difficulty swallowing, ear pain, fever, chills, headache, sore throat that is lasting longer than 48 hours, tenderness of the jaw and throat, voice changes, loss of voice, cold or flu like symptoms.
When the tonsils become inflamed they are usually red and may have some white spotting on them. Also the neck area may be tender to touch and/or swollen. Other symptoms that may come are bad breath, abdominal pain, blisters on the throat, loss of appetite, drooling, nausea, and vomiting.
Some things that may be helpful in the treatment of tonsillitis include:
- Salt gargles
- Drinking plenty of fluid
- A mix of Cayenne pepper, Garlic, and Honey
- Herbs Myrrh gum, Boswellia, Astragalus
Most of the time tonsillitis can be cleared up with just a little help. Since it can be caused by the same bacteria that cause Strep throat, using natural antibiotics (Garlic, Onion, etc.) will help reduce the contagion time and aid the body in eliminating the disease.
Only in cases of severe complications will the tonsils need to be removed, but only as a last resort due to recurring infections, or an infection that is not responding to any kind of treatment. (contributor – Alexandra Madsen)
Herbs for Tonsillitis
Herbs are plants valued for their specific strengthening/ tonifying properties.
Internally to stimulate the lymph use 1 capsule of each or the herbs 3 times a day: used actually for a few days. Chronic problems use herbs for tonsillitis for several weeks or longer.
Calendula herb for tonsillitis is used to stimulate lymphatic flow, repair tissues and is liver supportive.
Red root herb for tonsillitis is a direct lymph flow stimulant and immune booster.
Echinacea herb for tonsillitis is alterative (blood purifying) and immune stimulant.
To soothe the throat us a gargle made up of cut or powdered herb; for tonsillitis use 1 heaping teaspoon in 8 ounces of hot water and sip while very warm to soothe the throat.
Marshmallow root is demulcent herb for tonsillitis to soothe the throat.
Sage leaf improves digestion and soothes sore throat.
Marshmallow leaf herb for tonsillitis may help soothe the throat.
Cell Salts to Help with Tonsillitis
To make a cell salt solution, put up to 10 tablets of each cell salt in a 16- to 24-ounce bottle; fill with water and swirl to dissolve tablets. Sip throughout the day.
#4 Ferr phos (#1 for tonsillitis) – tonsillitis with a slight fever, sore throat, tonsils red and swollen
#6 Kali phos – tonsillitis from stress; hoarseness, sense of ball in throat
#11 Nat sulph – with liver problems, throat dry and sore with tearing pains
Tonsillitis Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathic remedies are non-toxic natural medicines safe for everyone including infants and pregnant or nursing women. You may use 6X, 30X, 6C or 30C potencies.
TONSILLITIS FIRST STAGE
Belladonna (#1 Homeopathic for tonsillitis-first stage)
- sudden, paroxsitic, radiant throbbing fever
- dry, swollen, red shiny tongue
- intense thirst alternating with inability to swallow
- spasmodic constriction of the throat
- exhaustion alternating with furious delirium
- temperature quickly at the top level
- mental trilogy
- dryness with intense thirst for cold water
- swollen tongue
- pins and needles on lips, tip of tongue
- bitter taste for anything except water
- high temperature without thirst, sweat, urination
- throat pale red, swollen
- pale and translucid edema with soft palate and uvula
- feeling of constriction (bell, lach)
TONSIL MEMBRANES COATED
Mercurius solubis or vivus (top remedy)
- fever is high, intense thirst and profuse sticky sweat, all worse at night
- mouth ptyalism (salivation); soapy, stringy, fetid metallic taste, tongue shows imprint of teeth, aphtae (canker sores), ulcers, and mapped
- tonsil membranes thick, gray with constant desire to swallow
- suppuration (pus forming) – slow, too profuse, always with glandular swelling
- targeted organs are pharynx mucosa, ganglions, mammary glands, periosteum and bones
- very severe sore throat with chronicity
- dark red color
- uvula large, dropsical, almost translucent (kali bic, rhus tox)
- tonsils, uvula, back of throat covered with ash colored membranes
- burning as from a red hot iron, with dryness
- cannot drink lot of fluids (belladonna)
- constriction worse between deglutition
- great remedy for dentition
- similar to Mercurius but weakened
- fat, chubby, short necked, blond person (children too)
- oppression, suffocation wakes the person up
- tough, stringy mucus which adheres
- drainage of lacunal (diamond-shaped pocket) tonsils (chronic: Silicea)
Pyrogenium and Hepar sulph both are for septic states, be careful with the dilution! Pyrogenium – be feels hard, great restlessness, tongue clean and smooth as if varnished and is fierce red, dry and cracked; terrible fetid taste-pus like; pulse rapid out of proportion to fever. Hepar sulph – sensation of fishbone in sphincter, very sensitive to touch, intolerant to pain-bad temper, chronic hypertrophy.
Source: Dave's Healing Notes